What Is SEM?
SEM is a form of pay-per-click (PPC) advertising that promotes your content at the very top of search engine results pages (SERPs) like Google, Bing and others. The publisher of the ad pays a fee each time a user clicks on the paid search result.
Local Service Ads
Service-based businesses that sign up for Local Service Ads determine a weekly budget for their ads in advance.
Unlike PPC marketing services, publishers pay per lead, which is a phone call or message. Cost per lead varies based on the type of job and the local market. There is no bidding process. Instead, Google automatically determines which ads to post based on the following factors:
- Proximity to the searcher’s location.
- Business hours.
- Number of reviews and the score of those reviews.
- Responsiveness to customer enquiries and requests.
- Any complaints about the business.
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) vs. Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
The main difference between search engine optimisation (SEO) and SEM is that the former is unpaid.
SEO relies on organic, unpaid content to improve online visibility. This mainly includes optimising website copy with technical SEO metrics and keyword research to reach a target audience. SEO also involves off-page optimisation through social media marketing (like for Twitter or Facebook), email marketing, backlink strategies and other off-site tactics.
Without a strong SEO strategy, SEM can end up costing more money. This is because of the important role that QS plays in determining CPC.
Optimising your landing pages to rank for certain keywords is therefore critical to supporting PPC strategies and reducing costs.
The main difference between
search engine optimisation
(SEO) and SEM is that the
former is unpaid.
Why Brafton for SEM?
Brafton is a full-service digital marketing agency that can take the reins on your SEM strategy and PPC management. Our PPC strategists can help you through every phase of executing SEM, including:
- Setting goals for what you want to achieve through your paid campaign.
- Strategising how to best use that spend.
- Setting up SEM campaigns.
- Making recommendations for how to lower CPC while improving impressions; for instance, by optimising your ad’s landing page and conducting a local SEO audit.
- Crafting short-form ad copy that can improve CTR.
- Measuring KPIs such as impressions, CTR, bounce rate, conversions and other metrics.
- Adjusting the strategy based on findings.
Here’s how SEM services at Brafton work:
Step 1: Meet your team
When you begin working with Brafton on your SEM campaigns and strategy, you’ll get a dedicated team, including a PPC strategist, project manager and content marketing strategist.
Step 2: Define your goals
This team will work with you to define your goals and KPIs, and the best ways to leverage SEM to achieve them.
Step 3: Plan your strategy
The ad networks that will work best for you depend on your industry, target audience, goals and more. We’ll collaborate with you to find the best strategy for your organisation. Some of the tactics we use include:
- Display ads (e.g. Google Display Network)
- Paid text ads (e.g. Google Ads – formerly Adwords – or Bing Ads)
- Paid content syndication (e.g. Taboola or Outbrain)
- Retargeting (e.g. Adroll)
- Shopping campaigns (e.g. Amazon Advertising or Google Shopping Campaign)
Step 4: Analyse and improve
Our PPC management services include monthly monitoring and management of your paid search campaigns. We’ll show you how your strategy is working and make suggestions for how to improve based on performance data and research.
We will also recommend the SEO services that can help support your SEM campaigns by driving organic traffic to your website, thus improving your QS.
We’ll make sure you get what you pay for, and then some.